Sunday, March 25, 2012

That's Just How We Are

I promised my brother I would go to his band concert. I didn't come to the first concert of the year and didn't really want to come to the second one. They're super long and half of the time they're setting up chairs. But I did promise him, so, like a devoted sister, I came.
After the concert was over I drifted out into the hall to talk to some of my friends that were in it too. Sam hugged me before I left, like she always does. But this time as I was about to leave I heard another voice. It was one of my guyfriends, the first friend I made in Jr. High. "Do I get a hug, too?" he asked. I gave him a hug and hurried to the car with my family.
Later he and I were talking and I asked him why, after knowing each other for 3 years, we had never hugged until then. After thinking about it a moment he said, "Cause that's just how we are."

Back in February he invited me to go with him and his family to a Vocal Point concert, BYU's acapella men's ensemble. I was excited and said I would.
A few weeks later he and I had an argument. Nothing super serious, but he hurt my feelings. In my distress I told him I wasn't going to the concert with him anymore. We didn't talk about it again.
Last week at school I heard this girl talking about how she was so excited to go to the Vocal Point concert... With him. In my next class I rigidly told him what I had heard.
"You're not mad, are you?" he asked. I could tell he was nervous. I've always hated that he always treats me like a bomb about to explode any minute. I tried to stay completely emotionless and I told him I wasn't. I knew saying anything else about it would be pointless. He would just say I was an overreacting fool because he hadn't actually done anything particularly wrong. All I did was ask him when he invited her to go with him. He said the week after our argument.
Only one week later? That soon? The idea seemed unbelievable. Slightly shattered, I ended the subject.
I can still hardly believe it.

But I guess that's just how we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are greatly appreciated. :)