Thursday, August 16, 2012

Learning About Acceptance

A few days ago I went shopping for school clothes. As I tried on pair after pair of pants that didn't fit, I started tearing up. I then asked my mom a question that's been on my mind ever since: "What if no one at Timp wants to be friends with me because I'm fat?"

I've thought about that question for days. And I realize... who cares? There may be plenty of shallow people in high school, but there will be others that won't care what anyone looks like. If I just look the best I can and I'm not self-conscious about it, my future friends won't care about how much I weigh. I do hope to continue to lose weight, but even before I make it to my goal I'm going to learn to accept myself. It's taken me so long to realize that I really do have potential and divine worth. I never wanted to be one of those annoyingly cocky people, but I always hated that I put myself down so much. But then I noticed that the people everyone loves to be around are the ones that accept themselves for who they are, and, better yet, don't even worry about themselves! They lose themselves in service to others. And in the end, that's what can make you truly happy.

[Picture stolen from Pinterest]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are greatly appreciated. :)