Sunday, March 27, 2011

My First Solo

"Ansalee!" I panted while hurrying down the auditorium aisle, "I have a big problem."

And it was my big night. The night of my solo. I had always had problems talking in front of people let alone singing. I repeated my mother's words in my head. Miss Webster chose YOU. If you weren't a good singer, she wouldn't have chosen you. Don't worry about it.

"I've never sang into a microphone before."
Ansalee's eyes lit up with teaching opportunity. All that I have ever learned about solo performing was from her. "Okay... So you never hold the microphone under your chin, you always have it in front of your mouth," she coached, "And don't act scared. The audience can see that."

Soon we were on stage singing our fifth and last song of the perstepped up to the mic and it all just burst out of my mouth without a thought. "Wind that makes the tall trees bend into leaning..." I sang out loud and clear. I glanced up at the tech booth were my best friend sat controlling lights and the sound system. She jumped up and down, forming a heart with her hands. I smiled and finished my lines, trotting back to my place in the choir, finishing the song.

The second concert came. This concert I was singing in front of family, friends, and the entire Men's Choir. Luckily it was easier the second time. I stood tall at the microphone, and sang out my heart.

After the concert a boy from school chased me down. "Tessa, don't you EVER say you can't sing. Cause that was AMAZING." With a sudden boost to my self-esteem and plenty more compliments, I set off to find my family.

A big hug and flowers from my aunt, and Mom, Dad, and I were off to get frozen custard.

I would do it all over again.

4 comments:

  1. I so wish I could have see you!!! You shall have to try out for other solos so I can come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was BEAUTIFUL! Just like you! I sure love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could of seen you! You are so talented! I miss you and the girls! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wish I could've been there! I'm sure you sounded beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are greatly appreciated. :)