Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sitting With My Favorite Boy

I left Spanish. My heart was racing. My brain was scrambled. I took three steps down the stairs and BAM! There he was, walking down the opposite staircase. My eyes couldn’t move away from him. He stood out like a bright yellow dandelion in a new mown lawn. He smiled his gorgeous smile and I smiled back… trying to be gorgeous.
I stumbled the rest of the way to my locker. I knew what was next. I was excited and giddy. What was I to say? What was I to do?
I entered the lunchroom and scanned the room for my friend, Alejandra. I spotted her, tray in hand, and we strolled coolly over to his table. Ale was almost as excited as me. We sat down at the last empty place at the rounded table. He looked me in the eyes for a brief second before saying to another guy sitting next to me, “Switch me spots.” My chest exploded as he got closer and closer. He situated himself by my side and a red-haired boy pointed out, “What are you doing?!” His casual reply was “Switching.” The boy inquired, “Why?” No one said anything and the red-haired boy eyed me suspiciously. I was as happy as I could ever be.
Nervous glaces were exchanged. I looked at him admiringly. We both blushed and looked back at the table. The more comfortable we got the more we talked to eachother.
I made casual conversation with the neighboring boys. I listened and commented, having a wonderful time. I turned back to Ale who was eating in silence. I tried to include her in the chat and sometimes whispered or giggled to her. He laughed at my comments and I laughed at his. We sat together for a long time. He’s perfect, I thought.
Once everyone finished eating we all stood up at once. Wanting to give Ale some deserved attention, I went over to him. The minute I arrived at his side he averted his eyes to me, pausing his conversation with another guy. “Thank you so much, -----,” I said, brimming with optimism. He nodded and smiled that winning grin of his, “Anytime.”
There will be a next time, I guarantee it. Today has been one of the best days of my life.

4 comments:

  1. What a well written perfect moment. It almost makes me want to go back to a moment when I felt the same way!

    I'm so glad you had a perfet day Tessa. You deserve it! You seemed so comfortable in such a butterfly moment. SOmetimes it's hard to keep your cool. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...I'm with Lindsey. I totally want to go back to Jr. high now. That's awesome you had such a great day! Enjoy every minute of all of those exciting things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! I'm so glad you had such a great day! I'm with Lindsey, can't wait to hear more. Thanks for sharing your sweet moment of joy with us. Missed you last night at YW. So glad you are finding some great times in Jr. high. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SUCH a good writer! I got all giddy for you in your moment. I love crushes. I miss seeing you around. We'll have to share catch up some time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are greatly appreciated. :)