Saturday, September 1, 2012

More Like Acquaintances

I kind of assumed I would automatically make this perfect group of friends when I went into high school. But after the first week and a half it became apparent that my imagined social life wasn't going to just fall into place.

My first acquaintance of this year was Kevin. I sat next to him in Pre-Calculus before we had a seating chart. I asked him questions and made an attempt at a stimulating conversation. I was really proud of myself for talking to Kevin so much in one day, especially because he's a boy. Besides just answering my questions about him, most of what he said was questions about the math homework.
After a few class periods I thought I was off to a good start with Kevin. I saw him in the hall one morning, so I waved and said "Hi, Kevin." He looked at me and walked away without saying a word.
Maybe we weren't meant to be friends. Just everlasting math class acquaintances.

You can imagine I was feeling a little discouraged after my failed attempt at having at least one new friend. I came into choir class on Friday with low expectations. Our teacher was at the assembly so the 16 people that are in that class all sat down in random seats and started talking. I sat down near the end of the row and someone came and sat down next to me. She was tall and so skinny that she looked like a stick figure. Her hair was long and thin and her glasses magnified her eyes to 5 times the size they actually were. "Hey, what's your name?" I asked.
"Jessie," she said, "what's yours?"
We talked all about Jr High and the choirs we were in and the dresses we wore.

Maybe I will make some friends this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are greatly appreciated. :)